Avengers: Endgame

UK Release Date: 25 April 2019
Certification: 12A
Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Cast: Josh Brolin, Don Cheadle, Bradley Cooper, Chris Evans, Karen Gillan, Danai Gurira, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr, Brie Larson, Jeremy Renner, Paul Rudd, Mark Ruffalo
Rating: 90%
"Whatever It Takes"
Review:
[Spoiler] I have seen Avengers: Endgame twice now and I'm sorry, there is absolutely no way I can review the movie without spoiling it. 

Avengers: Endgame is a defining cinematic moment. It is my generation's Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. All I was thinking about for months was the conclusion of The Infinity Saga. I watched all of the trailers and theory videos online, but was careful that I wasn't exposed to any plot spoilers. And I have to say that Avengers: Endgame has become my favourite movie of all time.

Avengers: Endgame has been described as good fan service - there is at least one call back to every MCU movie. I loved that.

Just like Avengers: Infinity War my favourite character in Avengers: Endgame is Thor. In Avengers: Endgame though the Russo Brothers took Thor in a completely different direction. For me, it worked a dream - they made Thor fat! Fat Thor was living as a recluse, clearly depressed and spent his days drinking beer and playing Fortnite. But again, was hilarious.

The time travel element of Avengers: Endgame is incredibly entertaining. The Avengers return to past moments in their histories to grab the Infinity Stones, specifically - New Jersey 1970, New York 2012, Asgard 2013, Morag 2014 and Vormir 2014. Each visit had a great moment. New Jersey's was Tony Stark talking to his dad, New York's was Captain America fighting a past version of himself, Asgard's was Thor summoning Mjölnir, Morag's was watching Star-Lord dance from the heroes' perspective and Vormir's was the emotional sacrifice. I loved watching The Avengers travel back to previous MCU moments.

The final battle of Avengers: Endgame is absolutely astonishing. The highlight for me is undoubtedly when the heroes appear through Doctor Strange's portals and Captain America,whilst wielding Mjölnir and a half broken shield finally cries the immortal line, "Avengers Assemble!" A moment that sent chills down my spine.

[Major Spoilers] The deaths of Iron Man and Black Widow and the retirement of Captain America are all brilliantly handled. 

The retirement of Captain America was epic as it was foreshadowed whilst he returned to New Jersey. Steve Rogers travelled back in time to return the Infinity Stones, but decided to stay in 1945 to live his life with Peggy Carter. In one of the final scenes, he passes on the shield on to Falcon [I still wish he gave the shield to Bucky].

Black Widow sacrificed herself on Vormir for the Soul Stone and her fight with Hawkeye was incredibly emotional and brought me to tears. 

Tony Stark's death is the hardest I think I have ever cried at a movie. The last line he utters is, "And I, am Iron Man" bring his character full circle. Then his good friend Rhodey, his prodigy Peter Parker and his wife Pepper Potts all comfort the dying hero. His daughter receives a holographic message from Tony where he says "I love you three thousand." At Tony's funeral every character that Tony affected is in attendance, even Harley Keener, the kid from Iron Man 3. A poignant piece of cinema.

There are one or two plot holes in Avengers: Endgame, but for me they don't matter and I see the movie as perfect. I remain excited for what the MCU has to offer going forward, but I doubt if anything can top Avengers: Endgame.

Comments

  1. Wow - great review! How many times more will you watch his movie and do you think there are details you still have to find in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I won’t watch the movie again at the cinema but I will watch the movie so many more times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

My Favourite Movies of the Decade

Isle of Dogs